What Is EPDM?
EPDM, or ethylene propylene diene monomer, is a common choice for flat roofing systems. It’s not the most aesthetically pleasing option, but it’s functional and long-lasting, and it will keep your home safe from the weather. It’s suitable for low-slope commercial and residential buildings alike. In general, you should expect your EPDM flat roof to endure between 25 and 30 years. They can withstand the elements, including severe winds, hail, low temperatures, thermal shock, ultraviolet light, and more, while yet being surprisingly lightweight and flexible. Reach out to our staff at Absolute Roofing at any time if you want to learn more about EPDM roof installation.
A Brief History of EPDM Roofing
EPDM single-ply roofing membranes, first introduced in 1962, rose in popularity in the 1970s when the price of asphalt-based roofs rose and the quality of available asphalt declined due to the Middle East oil crisis. Due to the cross-linked nature of its chemistry and the UV-absorbing capacity of its raw components, EPDM quickly gained a reputation as an affordable and easy-to-install material with remarkable hail resistance, UV stability, and weathering resistance. As a result of these and other improvements made to individual parts of the system since its inception, modern EPDM systems are more reliable and cost-effective than ever before.
Where Is EPDM Rubber Roofing Used?
In terms of protecting your roof from the elements, EPDM systems are unmatched. They shield you from the elements, including the wind, rain, hail, sunshine, and cold. This material is ideal for protecting a low-slope or flat roof that isn’t easily viewed from the ground. It’s not aesthetically pleasing, but it gets the job done. EPDM can be covered with a wood deck or outdoor carpet for a more elegant and weather-resistant rooftop deck.
Pros for Choosing EPDM Roofing Over Other Materials
You may be wondering what the benefits of installing an EPDM rubber roof are. The good news is that there is an abundance of them! Why do so many people with flat roofs prefer EPDM?
- Fast and Simple Installation: With this material, EPDM roofing businesses can get the job done quickly and easily. This is because it is produced in enormous rolls or sheets. Simply roll out the EPDM allows you to cover more ground in less time than if you were to place each shingle individually.
- Long Lasting: EPDM roofing systems are typically constructed to endure the longest most common types of commercial roofing systems. If it’s well-made and fitted, a roof can last a homeowner for at least 30 years. It can withstand high winds, heavy hail, and even flames without much damage.
- Resilience and Durability: This roofing material can expand or contract depending on the weather, meaning it won’t crack in extreme heat or cold. As a result, it has a longer lifespan than most other materials. Furthermore, it holds up well against the likes of hail, wind, snow, and ice in the wintery months of Wisconsin.
- Energy Saving: EPDM is a fantastic option for cutting down on energy costs, regardless of whether you live in a warm or cold climate. In climates like Trevor, Wisconsin, you may want to choose black rubber to draw in heat and lower your heating bill. While someone in a warmer climate may choose white rubber to reflect the sun’s rays to assist in lowering their cooling expenses.
- Wind Resistant: Another one of the great things about EPDM is that it’s designed to be resistant to harsh winds. What helps is the fact that it comes in large rolls or sheets with seams that are fully adhered and there are no edges for the wind to pick up. Other materials, such as shingles, metal sheets, and tiles, are more prone to being blown off.
In a conclusion, modern EPDM systems are tried and true, and they are constructed to last, which is in perfect harmony with the growing interest in green building. As a result of its superior performance in the real world for more than 50 years, EPDM has gained a great reputation for durability, weather resistance, and hail resistance.
Interested in learning more about installing or replacing an EPDM roof on your home? Since 2005, Absolute Roofing has serviced Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, and the surrounding area. Let us prove how knowledgeable and dependable we are. Click here to contact us for your free estimate.